Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday party

Have you ever had to go to an event and have no idea what to wear? Well, this has happened to me a couple times - one in particular this last weekend.

As a teacher, we don't really get work Christmas parties, but thankfully I get to live vicariously through Matt and his work. I've been pretty excited about this for awhile. So, I had Matt forward me the invitation so I could figure out what to wear - a crucial aspect of the evening. Stated on the invite it says:

"Business Holiday Attire"

Now, what in the heck does that mean?!? Well, google didn't know and I didn't know either, so I once again bugged Matt to figure out what his co-workers and their wives were wearing (mistake #1). He came back to tell me "gowns...or dresses". That means fancy, right? I was hoping so, b/c I have this dress I wanted to wear anyways - a red cocktail dress. So I didn't think much more about it (mistake #2). Well, I spend quite a bit of time primping and getting all dolled up before the big night, excited about getting to get all fancy for something. We drive out to the location, for a night of dinner and dancing - even an open bar and live band! (so I thought)

Well...we pull up and guess what I notice...

all the women are wearing pants!!!!

Yes, pants and big embroidered snowmen sweaters! Classic. And here is me with my hair all done up, black heels - and did I mention I'm wearing a bright red cocktail dress?! I was not too happy. I actually really wanted to go home or at least stay in the car for the evening. A nightmare! We went straight to the buffet - and I didn't take my coat off until we sat down, so I could try to disguise my overdressed, embarrassed self. We sat and ate and talked with his friends. I tried to impress as I met his bosses and managers. Though I can't say that I'm good with that. Just smiled and nodded.

Then the music began...played by the DJ - not a live band. Oh well...not a big deal, except for the fact that the DJ was terrible!! I am not exaggerating. He struggled getting and keeping people on the dance floor...even with free alcohol floating around the place. Like, he'd finally get a crowd out there for a song and then would play a completely terrible song like Brittney Spears...so of course everyone would sit down. It was ridiculous. I honestly don't know what was so challenging about the situation for him. Play good songs = People will dance.

There was a couple that came and joined us at the table that nobody really knew. I start talking with another girl at our table who also happened to be a teacher. We are discussing work and some difficulties of our particular schools and so forth, when the man next to me asks what school I teach at. I say it's a small charter school that nobody has heard of, and he pressed the question. Well, guess what...I come to find out that his daughter goes there. I knew he looked familiar! What are the odds? Seriously!? Great.

Oh well...at least there were door prizes. I encouraged Matt to let us stay til the bitter end in hopes that we would win something...we waited...and waited...and waited...there were basically 10% of the people left at the end (b/c the DJ was that bad) so I thought our odds were pretty good. But no. No door prizes for us...and several wasted hours of listening to ridiculous music.

What an evening! Though, I can say that I ended up really having fun and it was amusing at any rate. I enjoyed meeting the people he works with - they were really sweet. It was nice to put faces with names. I'd go again...at least next time I'll have a better idea of what to wear! :)

This is when Matt and I joined Caitlin and Karl for "White Christmas"

This is us at the party. Being all dressed up at least deserved a picture!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.