Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Perspective

Since I started back up working, life seems to be restricted to the following regime: early rise, work, gym, eat, spend a little time with Matt, sleep, and wake up to do it again. Nothing says a fruit-filled life like routine. :)

The school year has started off to be challenging (more to come on this later probably). I had high hopes for a great year and was determined that God wanted me to return to my current school. So here I am. But it is not completely what I expected nor hoped for. There have been ups and downs, but each day I wake up and know I need to spend time with God before I go to work (something I've never routinely been able to keep up in the mornings) which has been such a blessing. I can tell by my thoughts and immediate responses when I start the day with eternity as my perspective and days when the five feet in front of me is my limited perspective. I have to take each day at a time and chose to be content with my circumstances. I've been continually reminded that God put me in my job for a reason and I need to rejoice in it and look for the opportunities available to me while I'm here. He's growing me and reminding me of the mindset I once had not too long ago, about the joy found in life despite circumstances and situations - about focusing on God alone and finding my rest and peace in Him.

This past week, a friend and co-worker, was telling me about a high school friend who at age 26 had just passed away from a 2 year battle with melanoma, leaving behind her husband. Her blog is an incredible example of God's work through an individual - www.fisherags.com. Gregg Matte did the memorial service and spoke about it on Sunday during church. What a reminder of how short life is. What a conviction about the reality of the small problems that I think are so big and complain about. What an example of the way Christ can work through someone in such hopeless situation. What a reminder about the joy available to us.

I feel like I have been learning a lot recently, and being convicted of even more. I've decided transitions do that to me. Maybe that's why I like change so much, because it makes me grow. But I guess staying at the same job for 3 years is also making me grow, so God is not limited. Anyways, here are a few areas that the Lord has been teaching me:
  • what it is to be a godly, loving, selfless wife (obviously, a work in progress)
  • how to be patient when I have 26 8 year olds not paying attention...again
  • how to be a good friend while being married and learning to balance my time appropriately
  • what it is like to not be my own anymore, but the joy of sharing life and decisions with the man that God gifted me with
  • that my job is not just where I have to spend the majority of my day, it's a ministry and I need to allow Christ to reflect in my attitude
  • year after year (going on now the 6th year...) that God's plan is bigger than man's and He has a purpose for every decision and timing of freedom
  • that the circumstances provided are exactly what God is using to shape and mold us and we need to rejoice in that, whether it is true suffering or not

No comments: