Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The RunDown

I haven't been blogging much lately...ok, not at all...but here's a quick rundown of some life lessons I have learned recently:

1. Teaching is the best job. Yes, it has its horrible (yet sometimes fantastic) moments throughout the year, but these summer breaks are worth every minute. :) And I have survived my first year - so I figure it can only go up from here.
2. I learned I do not like being taken care of, and can be kinda stubborn in that area. But I do have many people who care for me and for that I am grateful. But I need to learn to need people.
3. There is something about a Starbucks and a good book that will never get old to me.
4. Apparently, when I turned 25 my body broke down and it's still a medical mystery. I have spent over 9 hours in doctors offices in the last 3 days alone several weeks post my ER scare - me and a large handful of senior citizens.
5. Houston does not seem that bad when you don't always have to drive around in rush hour traffic. Yet somehow the galleria area is still busy in the middle of the day - don't people work?
6. No matter how much time you can have on your hands, life will always seem be busy. I am still learning how to make that stop, and somehow I feel I've gotten worse at this.
7. The fact that the gym has valet parking, I think is quite ridiculous. If you need help spending your money or walking those 20 extra feet on your way to work out, give me a call and I'll help you realize the irony of the matter.
8. No matter how much sunscreen I put on, I still burn and always will. Hello skin cancer.
9. Though my passenger door doesn't always open, I have a huge dent in the back, the a/c doesn't cool well, and the paint is rusting - it still gets me from one place to another and that's what counts right now. Let's hope it holds out just a little longer.
10. Lastly, I have been reminded how I am blessed with some incredible people in my life. I don't deserve them, but I'm glad they have come into my life for some rhyme or reason.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Laura! I found your blog through Jen's. I agree - teaching is a pretty sweet job and yep, for the most part, it just gets better each year as you have more experience. Enjoy the time off!!

Jen Lewis said...

I miss you friend! Thanks for the run-down. I felt like I was back in H-town for a second while reading it. We need to catch up soon!