Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

A Surprise Visit

We (my family and myself) had been planning this trip for a few months.  My sister, Amy, found out she was pregnant early this year and then in the summer we moved to Alaska.  It was bittersweet, as I was excited to be moving but sad to be missing my first aunt experiences.  The initial plan was to wait until Christmas when Matt and I would make our trek back down south for a non-white Christmas with the family and meet the little guy...but after about a month into living in the last frontier...I decided I couldn't wait that long.  So, we searched for a good flight deal (which sadly involved a red eye and several layovers) and I planned my trip home for 3 weeks after the baby was due...just in case he was late.

Amy had no idea, but I figured having a newborn, she wouldn't have that many plans on the calendar.

Alas, after spending 33 hours on a plane and visiting Seattle, LA and Houston on my voyage from Anchorage to Dallas, I got to spend almost 3.5 days with my precious nephew, Welsey, the 70 degree weather, and the local shopping malls. 

 It also worked out that we could celebrate my grandparents 55th wedding anniversary with the whole family (almost...the husbands couldn't join us) while I was home. 
Celebrating 55 years of my Gramps & Mimi being married
4 generations...and finally another boy

Caitlin and me hogging the baby.  I was really good at that.
A long trip for a short weekend.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely. But I'm glad I don't have to get on another plane for at least a month.

No comments: