Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Lions, Tigers...and Bears

We have a bear in our neighborhood.  Sure there are bears everywhere in Alaska, but this one happens to frequent our home. I'm pretty sure it's the same one we had last summer that initially got me all paranoid.  I haven't exactly seen the bear (yet), but I have seen rather large droppings of the fellow - several outside our backdoor in our shared green space we use daily with the dog.  Two major problems to this scenario.  One: our neighbor has berry bushes that are blooming next to our small 4 ft high, slated fence (berries = bear feast).  Two:  our dog recently has to take a trip outside a couple times a night and gets walked early in the morning before work (prime bear time). I am aware that she is quite high maintenance, but it's preparing us for parenthood, I guess. 

Anyways, it didn't bother me at first.  I was actually on the look out for the bear from the safety of the viewing from our home windows. I thought it'd be cool to see, like the time in Valdez.

During the day there are enough people out and about that it doesn't bother me and I'll come and go as I please. 

Until last night.  12:30am and Mocha needs to go outside.  As I'm walking out, Matt instructs me to just make Mocha do her thing in our little fenced area and not leave the protection of our "yard".  Understandable, but the thought puts me on edge.  Five seconds after opening the back door Mocha has a stare down with something in the pitch black and starts going crazy barking.  I couldn't see a thing.  All I could imagine was this giant, hungry bear jumping our little fence and attacking my beloved pooch at 12:30 in the morning.  I stood at the door, freaking out and tried to get her inside...not wanting to actually step out there myself (clearly for the protection of the baby, not myself).   After what felt like eternity and elevated blood pressure, she finally came in.  Alive.  Not overreacting at all.  I may have had nightmares about it. 

So I made Matt carry bear spray with him on his morning walk with Mocha today.  He will be doing that everyday if I have anything to say about it.

The things I have to put up with while living in Alaska.

Good news, we have our 20 week ultrasound tomorrow!! I have been a little more than anxious to discover whether it's a little boy or girl in there.  Goodness, I hope I can sleep tonight!

No comments: