Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Craftiness

I officially quit my job.  Or I tried.  Maybe you didn't even know I was working?  Well a couple weeks before my maternity leave began, my boss asked me if I'd be interested in working from home (because I had made it clear that I didn't want to send Maddie to childcare, so I was probably not going to return).  Sounded like a great opportunity to keep myself challenged and make a little extra money on the side.  So six weeks after Maddie was born, I started working from home.  Nothing crazy, but 5-10 hours a week.  Problem was, I wasn't enjoying it.  And at times stressed out.  I felt burdened to work during Maddie's irregular naps when I really just wanted to read or make dinner or actually shower.  Sometimes I'd get up early on a Saturday morning to get some time in.  Matt doesn't really care if I work.  Thankfully we are blessed and agree to sacrifice some things for me to stay home.  So after MUCH prayer and debate, I decided to call it quits.  Matt said it could be a birthday present to myself.  I went in to give my notice.  Then they offered me an even better scenario.  Why don't I take a couple months off for the summer and if things get less crazy, I can start up again.  Seriously?  God is good.  Perfect situation.  I feel blessed to have them so flexible with me - I know that doesn't happen often.

Anyways, since that happened just a couple days ago, I feel relief.  Like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  And I guess as a celebration, I realized my craftiness bug has been building up.  And Maddie took an unusually long nap today.  Of course all was made with materials I have in my "craft bin", because a quick trip to the store doesn't happen anymore. 

I first made this to hang in this empty space we've had in our kitchen.  I was reminded of this quote from Jim Elliot recently and I feel like it's so fitting.  Especially since Matt and I just found out that it's going to be another couple years in Alaska.  So often (especially in Matt's current work situation) I live dreaming of what/where we'll be one day.  I look forward to being closer to family and old friends, but I'm actually overwhelmed with contentment about staying.  And by all means, I want to be living all here not wishing it away.
 I also recently made this spring time wreath.  Winter is WAY too long up here.  So this was my glimmer of hope each time I opened the door.
 Then I finished my coffee from Costco (I love Costco) and decided to make a toy bin for all of Maddie's rattles, pacifiers, etc we have floating around.  She's not really old enough for big toys, so it's nice I can contain most of her things in this little tin.  I know to enjoy it while I can. :)
 And what is that sitting on, you ask?  Garage sale season has begun!  I love garage sale-ing.  And our first Saturday morning out we found this beauty.  Sure Maddie can't exactly sit by herself in it yet, but I figure when that time comes around there won't be any garage sales to hit up (because there will probably be 10 feet of snow on the ground again).  It's the planner in me. :)

No comments: