Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Iditarod

I'm pretty sure this awesome race is almost over by the time this is posted...but here is documentation I was there for part of it.  Kinda.  You see, Anchorage has a "fake" start where it's basically a parade of all the mushers and their dog teams.  Every 2 minutes or so a team is announced and they ride the streets of downtown Anchorage for all to see. Since there were 62 teams, I have to say we didn't watch them all.  It was a bit chilly.  

There is a big festival called the Fur Rondy for about 2 weeks leading up to the start of the Iditarod.  It is quite the event around here.  The official start is the next day in Willow, AK - about an hour out of town.  Next year we'll probably have to attend that.

Here I am with my good friend, Nicole. Trying to stay warm in the 9 degree temperature on a Saturday morning.  You can see all the people...and we were in the less crowded part.
This is the guy who has won the last 4 or 5 years.  Lance Mackey and his dogs.
I will say riding in a sled was a bit more entertaining than just watching, but I'll certainly take what I can get. :)

No comments: