Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Meditate

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.  With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.  I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.  I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."  Psalms 119: 9-16

What a challenge. Memorization has never come easy to me. Or so I think.  Yet I can remember details of other things...like the ingredients to that recipe or the amount of calories burned completing certain workouts or how much that shirt at the store was.  Maybe the things you remember signify what is really important to you. 

I believe memorizing Scripture is vital.  I just don't always follow through.  Working in the secular world requires Truth to be meditated on continuously to combat the lies constantly thrown at me.  I was going through an old box the other day and came across a book full of letters written to me at a time when my life was consumed with believers.  I worked, lived and socialized with people on the same page as me.  I was involved in at least 2-3 Bible studies a week.  I was taking seminary classes.  My world was immersed with godly people who knew me, challenged me and loved me well.  A huge blessing at that time in my life.  

I know that God has us experience different phases in life.  It is what makes us grow and keeps us from being complacent.  The past nine months has been a phase of clinging to God alone.  I've missed a deep circle of women who keep me accountable and really know me.  I've missed being so involved in a church that I leave feeling refreshed and encouraged.  I miss spending day to day with at least one co-worker that has the same heart and belief as I do. This is a time to really solidify where my joy comes from.    

My sweet friend, Amber, invited me to join her in memorizing Scripture each month keeping accountable through email.  A few new girlfriends are going to join me every few weeks in meeting together for prayer and accountability.  We are slowly getting involved in a local church.  These things are all wonderful, of which I am thankful for. It takes time.  It takes a proactive attitude, as my wonderful husband always reminds me of.  But most of all it starts with me and God.  But none of them can take the place of my personal relationship with my Lord.  No one else can force me to "meditate on (God's) precepts" (vs. 16).  Which makes me thankful for times like these...because I realize it's all I have and I need it desperately.

No comments: