Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Air Show

Maddie took a four hour nap today.  FOUR hours.  That's unheard of.  I'm thinking we wore her out too much this weekend.  She was a trooper since we weren't home much.  All her naps were in the stroller, car or Ergo.  No wonder she's so worn out.

Anyways...Every two years the air force base in Anchorage hosts an air show.  Anchorage is home to 2 military bases.  An air force base and an army base.  Basically when new people move here there's a good chance they are in oil or the military.  

At the air show all their planes, hummers and equipment are on display and they entertain with an air show containing fly-bys and fun aerobatics.  It was hard for me to watch the little planes come inches from each other and made me a bit nauseous as they flew straight up in the air and then free fall until they came within seconds of hitting the ground.  Those people are crazy.  I'm glad that's not me.  I get scared flying commercial.

But Maddie had a great time!  We bought these earmuffs so we wouldn't permanently damage her precious little ears with the planes zooming by.  She didn't put up a fuss at all wearing them!  I loved how they pushed her chubby little cheeks together. 
It was quite hilarious as she didn't make a noise the whole time they were on.  A rarity since she's very talkative these days. Maybe she couldn't hear herself?  Or she could hear herself too well?  Who knows, but we are considering putting them on her during church service. :)
She even pretended she was on her way to a mission while aboard a big plane (I'm sure Matt could tell you the technical name of it...all I know is it had 2 gigantic wings and we could push the stroller up the back ramp).
Matt couldn't keep her still long enough for a picture she was so excited.  Hence the blurriness...and the fact that all I had was my phone for photos.
It was awesome to see all the high tech planes and fighters.  A small glimpse into the military.
The planes were much bigger in person - a photo just cannot justify them.
As we were leaving 40 troops jumped from a plane.  Again, I'm glad that was not me.
Reminds me to be thankful for all the men and women who dedicate their lives to keep us safe and free.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love the ear muff pictures! She is so cute!