Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Perfect Peace

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You."
Isaiah 26:3

Yesterday I admitted an honest feeling that I didn't think I'd ever have.  Matt and I were discussing that if there were the rare chance we could move back south (or even to the lower 48 - which I guess is technically "south") sooner rather than later, would we want to?  

The last couple months have been filled with peace and joy for where God has me in life.  It probably helps that this Alaskan summer was about a billion times better than last summer - the weather for starters was sunny and warmer than last (though I may have complained a little bit too much about 60 not exactly being "warm", but it's really all relative).  I've realized that though it took time (because it always takes time and it's easy to forget that) God has given us a handful of really good friends.  We are in a phase that is exciting as we anticipate the arrival of our first child in a few months.  Looking back I have loved how being so far from "home" has given Matt and I the chance to really solidify and ground our family.  I believe this move has grown us closer much faster than had we stayed where it was comfortable.  And I believe that if we stay God will continue to use that aspect as we learn to be parents together.  I also know that a move would require starting all over again, which seems a little overwhelming and exhausting after just getting through the roughest stage of the current move. 

And thus as much as I miss the didn't-realize-they-were-so-special aspects of the South - like the people, food, churches, heat, ability to drive outside of your state - and as exciting as it is to me to get a new home to decorate (sad, isn't it?  2 in 2 years...to keep our streak alive we need to get a move on), I am in complete peace of whatever God's will is - take me there.  There will be joys and sadness either way, but He will sustain, grow and teach me through it all. 

Anyways, our conversation was completely hypothetical since the chance to move early is extremely rare, but then again you never know what God has up His sleeve (story of my life!).  I'm just thankful that He has brought me to a place of contentment.  I didn't see myself ever getting there.  Sure, I don't particularly want to stay in Alaska forever (goodness, thinking about a lifetime of these winters make me depressed!), but I'm ok for a few more years.  I rest in knowing that wherever we live - God has a purpose for it.  Maybe I'm finally seeing little parts of that purpose now...how I am thankful God has opened my eyes to it.

No comments: