Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

You've been good to us...

As excited as I am to be moving to Anchorage and adventuring into a new way of life, I am going to miss our Houston home. Matt and I share a lot of memories here. Though Matt and I didn't even know each other when he purchased this home, it was not hard for it to feel like it was "ours" after we got married (something I was a little concerned about at first). Let me give you a little tour of the place we've called home for the last year...

Goodbye gigantic backyard - Mocha will miss you dearly - but I will not miss all the hours of mowing you consumed! But I'm not in denial, I'm sure all that grass mowing will soon be turned into snow shoveling. Give and take is what life is all about, isn't it? :)
The living room was my first project at the house when we got married...I was nervous about the golden colored walls at first, but I have to say I was pleased with the outcome! (Which was crucial, because it eased Matt's anxiousness about my decorating and let me continue on with the rest of the house...)

This is a great kitchen with tons of cabinets! Matt and I actually first got to really know each other while sitting at that bar in the kitchen talking for hours after a he hosted a party one night. I later learned how to cook here and expand upon my black bean and cool whip diet. :) (Who am I kidding...I just incorporated that into real meals so I wouldn't have to give it up...)
This dining room set was the first big purchase Matt and I made together. Unfortunately, Alaska homes rarely come with an actual dining room like most Texas homes, so it will be interesting to see how it works as our daily table...I guess it will finally be more than just something pretty to look at.
Oh the office...this was once the home of a big red flannel couch and large TV - aka a 2nd "man-den" pre-wedding days. We bought some bookshelves from Costco, pulled in furniture from other parts of the house, painted the walls this pretty gray color and ta-da...our home office.
Matt picked out this bedroom furniture before we ever met. I'm quite proud of him, because for being a boy he has great taste! A new bedspread via wedding gifts, a little paint and a bed for Mocha in the corner made a little haven for our family.
And oh how I am going to miss you very large bathroom with 2 sinks...
There ya go, that's our first home (minus a couple other bedrooms and such). I loved it. But I know wherever we end up can be turned into another home for us. The movers come tomorrow to officially start packing us up. I think it's going to be a bittersweet day. On to bigger (well, technically smaller) and better things...

No comments: